Monday, August 5, 2013

Going Vegan Day One

Two words to describe day one-  I'M FULL!!! 

So a little preface- for about 2 months I have been doing a program w/ Matt called carb back loading- to put it simply (it is really quite complicated if I tried to explain the science of it) we only eat 30 grams of carbs or less during the day- Work out like beasts at 4pm and then carb backload after our work out- which means we ate A LOT of carbs. The program is designed so that you can simultaneously build muscle while still shedding fat- instead of having to cycle bulking/cutting phases.
So you can imagine, once dinner time rolled around I was STARVING. The difference I noticed today was that I could barely eat dinner I was so full!! Even though I had just worked out (almost) as hard as I usually do. Here's what I had today:

Morning smoothie: 



4 strawberries- 1/4 cup raspberries- 1/8 cup of blueberries- 1/2 banana- 1/2 cup of kale  and 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk- 1/2 of scoop of strawberry mango spark(i usually don't have caffeine in the morning but I was REALLY tired this morning)
The whole thing was about 150 calories (of deliciousness!!) I plan on getting some coconut milk and coconut oil to add to my smoothies this week. 

Mid morning I ate a mix of almonds and sunflower seeds to hold me over for lunch where I had: 


1/4 cup of quinoa and mixed veggies (bell peppers, squash, zucchini and mushroom)

This held me over for about ehhhh 45 minutes :( and then I had a brown rice cake w/ a tablespoon of peanut butter. And then about an hour before my work out (3pm) I had a luna bar-- I usually don't eat protein bars of any type (because they are all usually terrible for you) but I LOVE Luna bars- all the ingredients are all natural and they are all vegan, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, non GMO and kosher. Most of them have a max of 4-5 ingredients. Which is AWESOME- I had the carrot cake one today- it was okay- I had the peanut butter and jelly one yesterday and I loved it. 

After work I headed straight to work out- I figured I'd include it in here incase anyone is interested- I started with 5 rounds of HITT- 1:2 ratios- I run as hard as I can for 1 minute and rest for 2, repeat 5 times (I typically do 6-10)

I was feeling pretty tired today(didn't sleep well last night) so I just did 10 rounds of: 10 stiff leg dead lifts, 10 squats, 10 push ups, 10 calf raises. AKA 100 of all. Followed by 3 rounds of 15 inclined abs. 

As I said before I had planned on continuing using my after work out protein shakes- even though they are whey based- annnd I felt like I was going to vom after drinking it- I just don't think my body was accustomed to eating that much during the day. 

For dinner I made black bean burgers (thanks for the recipe, Bailey! I loved them!)  I had them w/ a side of avacado and salsa, kale, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic. It was a chore getting it down!  Not that it wasn't delicious, but I was just that full. 


So overall today was a good day. I did not feel deprived at all- I have not missed meat or dairy at all (yet!). 

I probably won't post everyday since most days will be like today- but I will give weekly updates on recipes I've tried and liked (or disliked) as well as how my body feels with this new change!

Thanks for reading guys!

Live the Fit life,

xoxo Katie 


1 comment:

  1. Yay!! Glad you liked them! Looks like you're doing well so far. :)

    ReplyDelete